Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Colorful Felted Cat Balls - A Little Crafty Idea


Last winter I had the novel idea of making little colorful felted balls for cats or even for young children, but with a rattle inside. I have seen lots of beautiful felted balls in markets before, but none that seemed to rattle. So, I made these out of old ping pong balls, filled them with some recycled buttons and then carefully felted them using naturally dyed wool rovings with natural soap.

I personally think they look fabulous and fun and sound great when you roll them around. They are also light and soft and can't damage anything when thrown! Unfortunately my cat wasn't really the type to play with this type of thing- but I have no doubt many would enjoy it- particulary if you added a little catnip inside.

I re-discovered these today, and thought what a perfect opportunity to share this idea with you. They are not only made out of all natural or recyled products, but are easy to make, colorful and a lot of fun to play around with...... May you enjoy!!

Note: These may not be safe for babies, as small amounts of wool can fluff off from the surface and babies have a tendency to chew things...... However, you could string these up as a mobile somewhere in your babies room and rattle them for your baby to hear!

Written by Briony
Felt Balls and Photo by Briony

1 comment: