Thursday, March 25, 2010

Urban Hunter Gatherer


Sorry for being away so long... I think I lost some inspiration and the world took over and I kinda got lost in just living.... Summer was a wonderful time full of beaches, pools, warmth, light, gin and tonics and lovely people but obviously now the wheel of seasons has turned and it is Autumn. So here goes.... back on the wheel and ready to spin for the rest of the year!!!

Urban hunter gatherer.... not sure about the hunting bit, but gathering is certainly quite possible in the urban nooks and crannies of Melbourne and surrounds. Hard rubbish collections are one way to collect all those treasures that others may consider junk. I know in the past few months, I have gathered a table, a block of sandstone to rest a potplant, a great garden ornament made out of an old skateboard painted in designs, a green lush velvet chair and quite a significant toy for my son....its just a matter of keeping your eyes open!

But what got me so excited today was a site called Feral Fruit Trees, http://feralfruitmelbourne.wordpress.com. What a wonderful initiative, now in your local area you can source fruit that is ripe for the picking. I quickly discovered, that I have plums and grapes ready to eat right near my local railway station.... yummo!! Obviously this site will only work broadly if people continue to put up locations where fruit is to be found, but as an idea it rocks!!

On that note, if you are around and like the idea of eating fruit.... there is a great festival on this Sunday called Petty's Orchard Antique Apple Festival. It runs from 10am-4pm at Petty's Orchard- Cnr Monckton & Homestead Rds - Templestowe. Obviously lots of apples to taste, apple cider to buy, local produce stalls etc.... But it is also a family friendly event with music from Zucchini and Peter Combe. Another highlight for me would be a presenation by David Holmgren! Adults $10, Children $2 and Family $20.

Apples, apples, apples .......

Written by Briony

No comments:

Post a Comment