Sunday, June 27, 2010

Winter Solstice- Collingwood Children's Farm



If you have never been to Collingwood Children's Farm, I suggest you go! It is an amazing oasis of greenery and old time feel right in the middle of inner suburban Melbourne. Check out their website:http://farm.org.au/. They have Farmers Markets, Family Days, animals, a little cafe, a barn, ducks, goats, sheep, peacocks, friendly (and not so friendly) farm cats, cows and horses. Obviously a wonderful place for kids to run around in a lovely open space!!


To celebrate Winter Solstice, Collingwood Children's Farm annually holds a Winter Solstice Bonfire. This is an old pagan type tradition which is so lovely to still see alive and well in our modern world which often detaches itself from recognising the cycles of the seasons . This celebration was full of lots of people, children, food, performers, fire sculptures (lanterns), fire-twirlers and a lantern parade for the kids which was a beautiful site to behold. I went with some friends and we had a lovely night... my only complaint would be that this event has become extremely popular and as such watching the bonfire being lit with thousands of people is a little overwhelming.

I thought I would share some fire photo's of this bonfire, to give you a feel of just how amazing it was! It was huge and the heat it released extraordinary!










Peace and light

Briony x

2 comments:

  1. crack(l)ing good fire and photos there bri, did you catch the partial eclipse of the moon the following week? arohanui my sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I heard about the partial eclipse but kinda forgot about it that night :( Would have been great to see..... ah well. This fire was amazing and so much bigger than what it looks like here... though you get some idea ... I reckon it was about 30 feet high!! Love Solstice time... though I always seem to go through some painful leaving of the past and forging into the future... rebirth I guess :) Thanks for commenting. Nice to know someone occasionally reads this...haha. Peace and light my brother xo

    ReplyDelete